Monday, April 20, 2009

Sick Of Politics


This weekend I wrote a post about how it was certain the Kevin McGuire was involved in the lie Astroturf Blog Red Rag. This was following the re publication of a four year old load of cobblers originally got up by the News of The World . The title was not , but should have been ,“ Whore Says Stuff For Money Years Ago Shock”. Its not worth bothering with
After finishing it complete with links and all I had another look and thought , you know , I just do not want anything to do with this .It depresses me, its boring ,tawdry and frankly I `d rather do something else This may be an occasional blog nowadays but at least I hope if anyone looks in there will be something somewhat less spirit sapping than that.
In that vein, I was amused over the weekend to see Iain Dale ( whose coverage of the Red Rag saga has been superb) ,telling us all about his peculiar taste in music. It was a very personal selection and in some ways admirable . Not pretentious, honest , funny , clever superficial narrow and everything you love and hate about the great man himself really . Naturally this immediately made me think about my favourite subject , me !
I am sure I am far from alone in fantasising about being invited on Desert island Disks , it would have to be for services to mediocrity but that’s not the point ,. The point is to select my top eight tracks and by doing so further reveal the opalesque luminosity of aforesaid favourite subject .
This is what I have come up with .

Elgar’s Cello Concerto
Let me stand next to your fire – Hendrix
Walk On By – Baccahrach ( The white single Stranglers version)
Caravan – Van Morrison
Funny Valentine – Anyone ( Frank maybe ?)
I like To Be In America – From West Side Story
Your So Far Away – Carol King
I found a True Love ( call her Magnolia ) - Wilson Picket

Could easily be another eight tomorrow and I seem to have struck an elegiac vein with two exceptions Anyway it’s a fun game , the hard thing is to leave things out . No Beatles , Stones , Dylan Bowie , No Rock , really , nothing dark no great tenor no aria .... My book would be Persuasion but I would insist on my collected Shakespeare and Bible. You ?

10 comments:

Auntie Flo' said...

My choise:

Shakespeare's collected works
Jane Eyre
Can't decide on the third, its too final, so want to keep this open

I need big noise that I can play full blast, so, my music choice is:

Tubular bells - Mike Oldfield
Graceland CD - Paul Simon
Son of a preacher man - Dusty
Chopin - collected works!
When you're young and in love
One by my daughter
Bob Dylan's - collected works
Pavarotti - collected works

Newmania said...

You cannot have 'collected works' Flo that makes it too easy. You ahvre to actually come up with eight tracks .

You get the complete Shakespeare Free and the Biobel and you only get one book so I guess its Janes Eyre , and a fine choice

Auntie Flo' said...

That's bl**dy unfair, newms, I can't listen to nessun Dorma for the rest of my days - and that's the acid test I'm apollying here

Auntie Flo' said...

Bl**dy Nora, what's happened to my spelling? How on earth did I make 'applying' come out a 'appollying'? I'm either rushing like a lunatic or I've got brain damage.

Auntie Flo' said...

I can't choose just one Paul Simon, I just can't can't.

Could you make it 100 pieces of music, newns?

Newmania said...

That aint the game Flo.I think the trick is to have a lot of desert islands.
I blow hot and cold on Paul Simon

John M Ward said...

Apollying is what Ms Toynbee does…

I am old enough to remembernot only Tubular Bells, but also the (not very similar) Tubercular Bells that was composed for the BBC Micro Hybrid 500 music system. It was actually rather good in its own way!

My own tastes range from Pokemon themes to Vaughan-Williams via Jean-Michel Jarre and the occasional Roxette. I don't know what that says about me…

Newmania said...

Recovering Drug addict ?

Auntie Flo' said...

Apollying is what Ms Toynbee does…


Hahahaha :) excellent John M

idle said...

I also have Hendrix and Van the Man, but different ones:

Bright Side of the Road - Van Morrison
Hey Joe - Hendrix
Shine on You Crazy Diamond - Floyd
Like a Rolling Stone - Stones' cover version
Ten Years Gone - Led Zep
All the Young Dudes - Mott the Hoople
Kid Charlemagne - Steely Dan
Agnus Dei Adagio for Strings - Barber

Blog Archive