Sunday, November 26, 2006

Social JusticeWhat class am I ?


I see an active role for the state in disrupting what you might call class monopolies of opportunity . This could be through the educational system , which means taking on the NUT . This could be through providing outlets by grammar style streaming . It must include buttressing the working class communities from within , protecting them from without .

Not all of this is pretty , most of it will fly in the face of what I think of as the "Liberal "consensus" about the benefits of multiculturalism and undermining traditional family structure .

One thing that horrifies me is the disappearance of working class political representation from parliament . On this basis it is hardly likely that much will be achieved . I would like to see the Conservative party reconnect with its working class support , not focus exclusively on the centre "Liberal " voter. I would like to see more talk about social justice and less about image friendly subjects like the "environment ". I am concerned at the rampant inequality between classes that widens daily .What we get as our "representative MP s ? Priti thingymabob . Asian , oh goody, but the sprig of a long line of bureaucrats last seen getting kicked out of Uganda by the blacks for feathering their nests at their expense. She knows nothing of disadvantage .

I want to see class back in the political agenda and Bennetton ad smarm dispensed with . By the way inside the EU all of this is somewhat problematical.

Here is a thought . What about a what class am I quiz ?


1 Did either of your parents have tatttoo ?
2 Were you educated at the states expense
3 Do you like X factor
4 Did you ever devote a lot of time to dance impressively at clubs
5Did you play out ?
6 Did either of your parents attend any educational establishment after 16
7Can you fight , or have you ?
8 has anyone in your family ever done anything creative for a living


I may come up with some more ideas

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

sending this for fjl's sake. After you've read it you might wish to circulate it.

Philipa said...

1 Did either of your parents have tatttoo ? No
2 Were you educated at the states expense? yes, my father firmly believed in the State.
3 Do you like X factor? No!
4 Did you ever devote a lot of time to dance impressively at clubs? Yes.
5Did you play out ? Yes, I had horses, I was very rarely in.
6 Did either of your parents attend any educational establishment after 16? No (not counting Marines, job training courses or mature student)
7 Can you fight , or have you ? Yes
8 has anyone in your family ever done anything creative for a living? Yes, my fathers family owns a number of manufacturing companies and my father did, for a time, turn his artistic/creative hobby into his job after retirement but he found it more fun as a hobby.

Anonymous said...

Interesting background Pip. I couldn`t categorise you awfully well on that basis. I had horses is a bit of a give away `spose but you can dance you say. Hmmmmmm. I bet you can. I bet you look hot hot hot

Praguetory said...

If someone's name is Philipa no further questions are required.

Similarly with Benedict, Jocelyn, Greg, Henrietta, Jemima and at least another couple of 100 upper class names.

Blog Archive